Our History

At Fairalls, we can trace our origins and history back to 1900 when George Fairall started quarrying sand and bricklaying at Taylors Hill, Godstone.

This sand was delivered to a wide variety of locations, initially by horse and cart, progressing to lorries and HGVs as the years went on. Rather than letting the lorries return to the sandpit empty, it became commonplace to salvage demolished goods in the form of old bricks, timbers etc. from Croydon and the surrounding areas. These materials were hauled back to the yard and re-sold. Naturally when you have sand and bricks for sale, sooner rather than later, customers will need to buy cement and lime as well. The formation of a builders’ merchant was taking place. Sand extraction ceased in the 1980s. Today, as well as the old sandpit at Taylors Hill, Fairalls trades from locations in Godstone High Street (our main office and light side depot) and also depots in Gatwick and Sevenoaks, alongside an online store delivering throughout most of Surrey and Kent